Monday, August 30, 2010

My Summer in Virginia and DC

I was very sad to leave my new friends in Oregon, but my gloom didn't last long. My next stop was at PrincessRuthie's (On AGFMB) house in Virginia!


I got there on July 10th, 2010. Very excited to be there, I helped myself out of my box. I heard a loud thud and ran in the direction of the loud noise. I stumbled across a girl, passed out on the floor, face first! I helped her up and asked if she was going to be alright. I helped her over to her bed when she asked me if I was Sophie! Certainly not, but I explained to her that I am Hodel, and I'll be visting. She didn't like the idea of  another visitor, because she just had said goodbye to Ruthie. She also told me they put on a play while she was there!


"THEATRE!" I yelled. I'm sure I scared her a little bit! I went on to tell her that I'm in love with theatre too! We stayed up all night and talked about plays and musicals, and everything theatre!


The next day, Rebecca took me to the school's Thespian meeting. It was nice to be at an arts school!


At the meeting, I met Isabel! "HEY, wait! You're HODEL?! Hodel Yanovic, Anna Lee's friend!?!? Hi, I'm Isabel Cohen, and I've been dying to meet you and Anna Lee both! Oh is it true that you are going to see Anna Lee next?! Can I go with you? Oh my goodness, PUH-lease? Anyway, I can't believe it's really you! I just know that we're going to be good friends, too!" It was very exciting! I felt famous!


The girls and I decided to put on a talent show instead of a full-blown production. Anya started out with a little tap dancing number. She didn't want to compete. Rebecca dressed up like Barbra in "Funny Girl" and sang/danced to "I'd Rather Be Blue". Nathalie and Isabel dressed up like Anne and Dianna from Anne of Green Gables. They sang a song from the musical!


Finally, moi! Lindsey, Chiara and I did our own version of "Bad Romance", spoofing that of Glee. The YouTube watchers voted, and WE WON! The talent show was so much fun!


On July 18th, my trip took a change of pace. Laura took me to Vienna, VA to see Idina Menzel (!), and decided to drive a little farther to DC! I'd never been there before!We first went off to the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History! We saw the ruby red slippers (Just like in Minnesota!) and Julia Child's kitchen!


We at lunch and walked up and down on the National Mall. We also saw all kinds of pretty buildings along the path!


When I got back to the school, it was time for Camp Blacker, a summer day camp filled with fun activities bound to keep us from becoming couch potatoes. After setting up a cozy camp environment and putting up a nifty sign, everyone got in on the fun.


The next day was so hot. Nathalie and I HAD to cool off in the sprinkler!


Oh! And I want to place a shout-out to my host, Laura! She made me this dress! Isn't it darling!?!?


My last day was nearing, so I went around the school trying to say goodbye to everyone. I found Becky laying under a lamp with cream all over her face! After I made sure she wasn't going to faint I said goodbye and headed out.


I said goodbye to everyone else too, but I couldn't find Isabel. The girls told me that she isn't good with goodbyes, and it probably off somewhere.


I couldn't find Isabel, but it was time to go. I was just about to climb into my box when it was already full!


I pulled back the blanket and uncovered a familiar face - Isabel! "Oh, there you are, Isabel! I missed saying goodbye to you earlier. Lindsey told me that you'd hidden yourself away since you hate goodbyes..." "It's not that," Isabel interrupted, pulling herself up, "I just want to go to Michigan with you! I thought that, if I stowed away in your box, I could meet Anna Lee and spend time with the two of you. How much fun would that be? Of course, Laura would never let me go out traveling right now - she's got a strict rule about one doll traveling at a time - so that's why I stowed away. And don't tell me that two dolls can't fit in a box like this - Kit-Kat shared a box! But, anyhow, I just have to meet her...I have to! And I don't want to say goodbye to you either!" "Oh, Isabel, I wish you could come with me, I do, but since you don't live with me, it'd probably be better if you went in your own box someday. You'll meet Anna Lee someday, you will. She's not going anywhere! Now, come on, let's get you out of the box, and we can hang out a bit before I go," I said, trying to reassure her. I helped Isabel out and embraced her in a hug while thinking of one last thing that we could do together, "Hey, why don't we have some ice cream at Kirsten and Addy's café? I hear Addy makes the best vanilla ice cream around! I'll even tell you all about the adventures Anna Lee and I have had..." And that's just what we did.

On to my next stop... Michigan!

3 comments:

  1. So that's Becky? She apparently arrived at FHSG after I'd departed on my travels, so I haven't had the pleasure of meeting her yet. I've heard that she's quite the character, and that may not be a good thing. If, when I do meet her, she starts following me around like Chrissa does to Sabine, she'll have another thing coming, oh yes.

    I hope you had fun visiting my school, Hodel. My classmates can be a crazy bunch. I wish I'd been there to meet you, but at least we'll be able to meet later in the fall.

    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is quite the character, but she is very nice. She's a star. Sometimes it happens ;-) But hopefully you'll like her!

    I loved your school. When you're home-schooled, you don't really get to do much of that. They were so much fun!

    Do you have an idea about when you'll be here? Alyosha gets her lisence soon, so we can start planning, without having to ask her mom to drag us around! :D

    Can't wait,
    Hodel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think I have about another week or so left in NH, and then I'm going to visit Inky (!) in NY for about a month. I guess I'll be with you by October?

    Sophie

    ReplyDelete